I hate it when I hear people be so negative about children. I often hear things like
oh just wait...they are great when they are babies...but then they grow up ( to this person I say, what are they, puppies???)
Ugh, finally we get to be alone
Kids are so needy
Once you have a kid your life is over
Think of all the things you won't be able to do once you have kids
And a plethora more. And I admit, I have thought a few of these more than once. Not too encouraging to young married couples guys...I'm just being honest. Why is parenthood looked on as such a burden? Yes I am positive that it is most definitely one of the hardest things anyone can do, and yes I am positive that it is most definitely miserable on some days...but does everyone have to be so negative about it all the time? Why don't we ever hear any good stories? Or hear any parents that talk about all the great things that come with parenting?
I found this little gem and loved it: http://katiewetherbee.wordpress.com/2012/02/06/joy-or-just-wait/
Like anything else, parenthood is not always glamorous, but instead of regaling everyone in the world with horror stories and negativity, see the good in it. Please. For your sake and for your child's sake.
I read that same blog and LOVED it. It was so inspiring to me... and I completely agree with you. :)
ReplyDeleteI just think you need to surround yourself with happier people! haha
ReplyDeleteI've been happy that lately a lot of what I've been hearing is, "I never knew I could love someone so much, they fill my life with joy!"
but i agree...i dislike all of the common satirical comments about children.